Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Friendship versus Enemy

As we are counting the day of our graduation, it was really an emotional state where we have to say goodbye to some friends. Of course it does not mean saying goodbye forever and with new technologies coming up almost every second, we are connected so easily just like Nokia tagline 'Connecting People'.

However it was also time where you will start noticing there will be a big gap between the friendship or some had already show off their real face. For years, some of us might have showing another different side or wearing a mask in making friends. It was really disappointing to notice this at almost the ending of the semester.

It was really sad that you might hear some of the statement like this

Friends is nothing, is just an item for us to use. Once the value drop it mean it was time to dump it away


I also personally had listen to this statement. Not forgetting one of my coursemate telling me:

Joo, dun be too naive. Friends is nothing. The more friend you have the more enemy you have


Unbelievable that this statement still SAVE inside my brain. It was life that we meet friend, and from friend we become best friend. Everyone can be friend. Classmate, course mate, Schoolmate, housemate, and lot more. One saying which always be quoted is " to defeat an enemy is always to be the friend of him"

It was touching that we always live in environment full with friends rather than enemy. I believe all of us will rather die for friends rather than die because of enemy.

It is not achievement to make 100 friends a year but an achievement is to make a friend for 100 years


To born in the same world is faith, to know each other is fortune, to be friend is commitment and to remain friendship is everything


Have no friends not equal to yourself."
- Confucious (551 - 497 BC) Chinese philosopher


"What is a friend? A single soul in two bodies."
- Aristotle


"Strangers are just friends waiting to happen."


"I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends."
- Walt Whitman


No matter friends or enemy, it still have time to rebuilt the relationship. It need a small step from each of YOU! Just do It....If we never change, we will be changed...So change before you been chained....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truly, making one TRUE friend is better to have a group of friends that come to you when they need help while leaving you alone to handle your own (non-personal) problem. Honestly, I think I have "substantial" knowledge at my age - to get a living, however, when it comes to friendship, it becomes my biggest "burden". I seriously lost trust on friendship after I have been cheated and hurt by friends and even family members. At one point of life, I could trust no one but myself.

I gave a chance to a friendship two years ago though I was having the same feeling of not wanting another friendship. This "friend" managed to pursue me to her friendship. The friendship was fine despite our age gap, but after a year, there was a total silence...she left the friendship without a word nor reason (I don't remember myself doing anything wrong, but if I was wrong, I do hope that she informs me). I was and am still sad over this as she was the one I given a chance to have a new friendship, and at the end, she betrayed this "chance". At first, I hated her so much, but I realised that the "hate" came as I care about so much about this friendship. Nevertheless, my door is always open to her...like you say, a friend is better than an enemy - provided she really appreciate the friendship I had with her..

The moral of the story - no friendship or enemy-ship could be developed unless the efforts of the both parties (like you say)...so, don't overly burden yourself with the issue of friendship, and let the future of your friendship circle to develop naturally....

Sorry....I am talking so much crap here =P

Kent 阿健 said...

"It's not an achievement to make 100 friends a year but an achievement is to make a friend for 100 years" I truly felt the quote. That's why I've send this to a few of my 100 years friend (at least I hope we can be). I might not make 100 friends in a year but I guess I do meet quite some new friends last year. I realize that I barely establish 'friendship' with most of them. I struggle to re-build friendship with my classmates but realize that sometimes the kindred will only be form when both parties make efforts. My favorite quote when I am in SRC, you will only be my true friends, my true alliance if you have the same thought as me; when you see what I see; when you believe in what I believe or in most of the time it's similar (well, it’s my apple and orange theory again). We treasure diversity to a certain extent as that is the element that makes each and everyone of us unique. But most of the time, certain portion of similarity will or do bind us. There are people who hold/practice different set of standards and values in life. For instant, those that believe in friends are meant to utilized are obviously the group of people that I am referring to. I am totally agreed with the philosophy of having a friend is always better than adding another enemy. Reality sometimes is quite crucial but it always teaches us lessons. Isn't that interesting as realizing the fact/ accepting the reality is part of our journey in life~ so chill out and let's move on! ~ =)

Eddie Lim said...

Wow...so happy to see 2 long comment...At least it tells me that someone is viewing my blog...anyway...thanks for the comment...I do believe friends and family is the essence of life. Anyone on the street can be our friends but the real part is only few out of all those will be a true friends and the true friends lies on the committment of both party to remain those relationship.

SaraLiew said...

hmm,.. im linked as jileng the emo gal blog? omg..
your posting this time is quite emo and .. i like it because i can relate to it. strangers are just friends waiting to happen, i really like this quote. 2 years back we were strangers, but now we go on late night drinks, talking bout stuff that are really close to heart, sometimes personal. and i value this kind of friendship that me, u, kent and some others share. This is a kind of bond that can go on for many years, not something one can fake. As to people who uses friendship as a tool to get what they want, they wont go far in life- without a doubt. Many times we think that we can do anything and we are perfectly fine on our own, but many times, when we fall, it is friends who pick us up. So, dont worry,keep your faith that true friendship does exist, and like kent say, move on when it doesnt really work out. U noe like someone you meet, if both share the same vibes and have common things, then both can be friends and later be good ones even! But for friends that arent really our cup of tea, lets just acknowledged that we cant be everyone's cup of tea and vice versa, so we just keep them as mere acquaintance. ^^