Friday, October 3, 2008

Ethic Dilemma

From small we were taught of what is good and what is bad. We were told not to kill, not to betray, not to steal and not to do what is perceive to be wrong in the community.

However, when we are adult, how many of us still think this moral value is important for survival. Even worst, now people are saying being nice guy will never end up in good situation....or in other word hero always die at the end...

How true was it? I wonder

I wonder why at my tertiary education I was force to take business ethics and professional ethics. I wonder why law was enforce to regulate human behaviour. I even wonder why professional paper such as ACCA are now putting more concern on ethical behaviour rather than the traditional academic style of questioning... I just wonder

Is ethics something we study and to be examine or are suppose ethical should be daily practise? I wonder and I understand that there is no answer for this. We come from different background, different culture and thus what we see is wrong might not be wrong for certain people. For example for Islamic they see gambling as prohibited and for Chinese they will think Gambling for the sake of fun is OK but not toward addiction.

In daily life we face so many ethical dilemma.

If you are lawyer, you know your best friend murder a person and he ask you to help him out in the court..will you did it?

If you are doctor and one day you saw your enemy is half dead and you are responsible to safe him...Would you safe him with your integrity toward your job or will you just carelessly perform your work hopping he will suffer more?

If you are auditor and you know there is fraud, would you shut your mouth or will you become whistle blower?

If you close family member is badly ill in hospital and the doctor is asking whether you want to switch off the oxygen tank due to the high cost that is nor bearable by you and your family or will you let it operate?

All this answer is wondering question. I do have friend who answer me that "I am not doctor, I am not a lawyer, I dun have enemy and I dun friend with murderer" but reality if this happen what will you do?

Ethic....It was a big word...

Professional people such as doctor, lawyer and accountant are thus to have professional ethics involving judgement of what is right and what is wrong.

As I am busy for almost 6 months continuously I don't have chance to watch any drama or show that I wanted to watch. In 6 months time i barely even finish up 3 episode of my drama. As for such a long holiday I manage to watch famous "Donald Trump's" show call The Apprentice...and this year it goes celebrities...

After I finish the whole 13 episode, I was shocked of how dramatic this bunch of celebrities. They compromise of sportsman and woman, model, singer, heavyweight wrestler, superstar and one reality show celebrity named Omorosa. Omorosa was nominated as the most hated reality show celebrity for being having problem with most contestant. However I salute her bravery, her survival skill of protecting and having war to the very last drop of blood...Really, she is just an amazing woman...But in reality I don't think I can work well with her...hehe

What make me a shock is this bunch of people are just 2 very different personality. They are like devil and good man...I just can't believe that. The sportswoman are just too soft and too good for the game that even they won't multiple gold for Olympic but they fail in The Apprentice. What I love about this show is there is so may chaotic and drama along the way. We saw how some group using rat (spy) and how aggressive is somebody in winning the task. Although the winning group contribution will never go into their pocket but their chosen charity body but I am shock of how they play the whole game.

In the finale, the competition down to Piers Morgan (the judge for American Got Talent show) and Trace Adkins (popular country singer) which was label as devil vs good man. For me that the reality of the world. In business to perform better, earn better we tend to use all opportunity without considering whether that is ethical or now. For me Piers is a great guy and manage to raise so much money because he have all rich celebrities contact while for Trace he have simple life with friends who is also same like him, live in simple life and less $$$ as compare to Piers. At the end Trump hired Piers.

I don not say Trump make wrong decision. I do not say Piers is wrong but what he do is not perceive as ethical...Maybe he is too harsh, tough and money minded...That is real businessman life...But Trace is also great man...He manage to survive along the way with those tough guy like Piers. Anyway I was betting that Trace win but he didn't.

So the reality, is ethical practical in business? There are several companies which did have ethical practise such as IJM Corporation Berhad which was awarded multiple good corporate governance reporting and CSR practise and SP Setia which was famous for Eco and green approach in their developing. How about company business which was unethical but portrait themselves as ethical such as BAT, GAB, Genting and so on....

Ethic dilemma...

It was how we see and perceive what is right and what is wrong...

No comments: